Panel Discussion Points and Sources
Thanks for attending the LGPA Accelerate Conference session on Stronger teams, building diverse teams
I shared a number of data points and research pieces, so here are links to some of that research.
- My research into the impacts of COVID on working mums.
- Diversity Council of Australia Inclusion at work index
- The podcast episode where Diversity Council of Australia CEO, Lisa Annese shared her quote; "Absolutely, empirically, the data shows that when workplaces focus on gender equality, we can measure the inclusion rates and see that men and women benefit from this in an equal amount."
DEI, Innovation and teams
- Boston Consulting Group research into revenue from innovation and team diversity
- McKinsey research showing those companies in the top quartile for ethnic and racial diversity in management were 35% more likely to have financial returns above their industry mean
- The changing nature of the workforce in the war for talent
- Nearly 40% of foreign-born Australians were born in Asia
- Almost 60% of university graduates are now women
- Employees in inclusive teams are 19x more likely to be very satisfied with their job
- Teams with a member who shares a client’s diversity are 150% more likely to understand that client
Belonging and inclusive leadership
- Regnan's report, Beyond Diversity showed that there are 4 key features of inclusive leadership:
- A supportive diversity climate (ie leaders are saying the right things, and backing it up with action)
- Equitable employment practices (eg. you know exactly what you need to do to get your next promotion, and there is no gender pay differential)
- Psychological safety (that’s an environment where it’s safe to speak up, learn from your mistakes, and ask questions)
- And Debiased decision making (where there are processes to ensure fairness in important decisions)
How I can help
With a suite of training programs that focus on the key features of inclusive teams:
- A supportive diversity climate
- Equitable employment practices
- Psychological safety
- Debiased decision making
As well as programs that focus on:
- Customer inclusion
- Gender equity
- Harassment, bullying and incivility
- Mentoring and sponsorship
I can help your Local Government organisation improve internal and external culture.